Monday 17 June 2013

When in Rome, literally.

With my holiday history on record, it's obvious I am certainly not a well-travelled individual, primarily down to my constant lack of money and terrible organisation skills. I've been to France and Germany a few times and I've even visited Greece on a couple of occasions before it got economically flushed down the toilet. However, until last Thursday, I hadn't actually been on a foreign holiday with my family for 11 years, so when my parents suggested a trip to Rome to celebrate their 25th Wedding Anniversary, naturally my brothers and I jumped at the chance.

I know what you're thinking and I know it sounds terrible - my brothers and I essentially gatecrashed our Mum and Dad's anniversary holiday, but we were all actually invited. I still don't really know why. But we certainly weren't complaining, and we certainly weren't stupid enough to turn down a free holiday.

We touched down in the sunny capital on Thursday and were immediately struck by the heat as we came off the plane. The weather in Rome was proper Summer weather - none of that ridiculous English rubbish with overcast skies and the odd burst of sunshine which lasts about five seconds before disappearing behind an enormous grey cloud. It stayed at 32°C for most of our trip and with the sun shining down on us, we were as happy as clams.

The second thing which struck me was the immense beauty of the architecture and landscape as we travelled closer to the heart of the city via train on the way to our hotel. It was simply breathtaking. Just from looking at the buildings you could see the history and the way in which it had been so well preserved.

When we finally got off the train and started walking around the city in search of our hotel, my Dad decided to make a fantastic first impression on the locals by shouting out very loudly in the middle of the street "Watch out on the roads, the Roman's are all flipping lunatics when they're behind the wheel of a car". At that point, all I could was look at the ground and pray that the fifty or so other people around us were not Roman and/or did not understand English. You can always rely on my Dad to be embarrassing at any given opportunity, and he certainly outdid himself on this occasion.

The rest of the afternoon was spent at the Fontana di Trevi (Trevi Fountain), which was so beautiful. Traditionally you are encouraged to throw coins into the fountain in the hope that in doing so, it will bring you back to Rome in the future, so we all threw in a couple of cents with this in mind.

The following day we went to The Altare della Patria, which is a stunning monument made entirely from marble and built in honour of Italy's first King, Victor Emmanuel. I spent most of the time watching my footing as we walked up endless flights of stairs, terrified I would end up falling over and cracking my head open on the marble floor. With that aside, looking out at the view from the top was most definitely one of my highlights of our trip.

My Mum and Dad decided some time before we went away to buy us 'Roma Passes' which gave us free use of the city's public transport network and admission to two landmarks of our choice without having to queue, the first of which was The Vatican Museum.

I'm not Catholic or particularly religious, but just to look at the stunning patterned ceilings, statues and sculptures made it a brilliant and very interesting afternoon.

On the same day we visited the Sistine Chapel, which was equally as beautiful with its patterned walls and painted ceilings. It was, as you might expect, a very strict environment - you needed to have your shoulders and knees covered, and were asked to be completely silent so those who wanted to pray inside the chapel could. Then again, it can't have been easy to do so given the amount of racket the security guards were making yelling "Silenzio!" ("silence") every ten seconds. I was actually tempted to shout out something about double standards but it probably would have ended with me getting thrown out.

Afterwards, we went to a gorgeous little backstreet restaurant called La Scalinata. The restaurant owner was so lovely and fitted the Italian stereotype perfectly - he was a bit like the waiter from Disney's 'The Lady and the Tramp', but less fat and without a moustache.

On Saturday we travelled back to The Vatican so we could go inside St. Peter's Basilica, which was enormous and absolutely breathtaking inside and out.

That same day we also went to The Colosseum. Inside there were artefacts, stone carvings and stories on wall plaques about the persecution of Christians and the ways in which they were punished for their beliefs - we learnt so much in such a short space of time. Although naturally, it was the outside of the Colosseum which was truly astounding - as we went exploring it was so easy to picture how it would have looked back then and imagine the immense level of sound which would have roared throughout the arena.

For lunch we picked the ideal spot opposite the Colosseum in Ristorante Al Gladiatore, which had a beautiful painting on the wall of a Roman soldier bowing down for mercy towards a female gladiator. The waiter told us a story of this female gladiator and how she was avenging her people who had been killed at the hands of these Roman soldiers.

That evening we decided to go to the Spanish Steps, where we sat for about two hours simply chatting, people-watching and soaking in the atmosphere. In spite of the crowds, busyness and noise, it was so peaceful and I felt like I could just stay there forever.

On our final day, we wandered through the markets and shops, exploring the smaller places we had missed the first time we looked around. I might have accidentally bought more jewellery - a pair of earrings and two bracelets - but I was on holiday so I was allowed. That's my naff excuse.

We sat in a cute little place called Caffè Accademia and ate the most delicious ice cream I've ever tasted - it was proper Italian ice cream. It cost an arm and a leg though, maybe even a few toes.

At this point in the trip we also worked out that my little brother Luke had eaten Margarita pizza every day for the past four days (!!).

We had reached the end of our holiday, jumped back on the plane to a not-so-sunny England and said our goodbyes to our new favourite city. All in all, it was a fantastic trip with so many memories made.

Ciao :) Nats. X

No comments:

Post a Comment