Saturday 8 June 2013

June

You'll have to excuse me; I'm typing this with a slight hangover. However, I find writing is often so therapeutic that it works as the best kind of cure, so that's why I'm here instead of hiding in a dark room under a duvet. Weird, I know, but from me are you really expecting any different?

The last few weeks have been very busy as I've been travelling back and forth from home to my Uni house for work, family events and birthdays. It's been very strange spending a few days here, a few days there, because normally I'm only in one place for fairly long periods of time. However, on Wednesday I'll be heading back home for a longer stint of 4 weeks which I'm looking forward to, especially as it means I won't be packing and unpacking my bags every 5 minutes.

Last night we had our Summer Ball which was so fantastic! Admittedly most of it is a bit of a blur, but it was brilliant to see so many of my Uni friends looking gorgeous in their dresses and smart suits coming together to celebrate the end of a mad and eventful year. On the line up we had The Hoosiers and Pendulum, who were both amazing, and Radio 1 DJ Huw Stephens and Wiley, who I unfortunately missed, but I've got it on good authority that they performed great sets as well. Because I work in the coffee shop on campus I actually bumped into a few of my colleagues who were working some of the stalls - thankfully I found a small piece of common sense when seeing my boss' boss from a distance and realising it was probably not a good idea for me to go and have a chat, bearing in mind I was not of sober/sound mind and would have ended up babbling about all kinds of nonsense. I have no clue where this piece of common sense sprung from, but I'd be very grateful if it started to make an appearance more often in my day to day life. All in all, it was the perfect way to round off my second year.

On Tuesday, my housemate Vic and I went to an event called Tune In To Volunteering to collect awards for the volunteering we've done for our University, and we had a really lovely afternoon. It was all quite sophisticated and civilised (an environment which I'm obviously not naturally accustomed to) but it all ran smoothly with very few hiccups and moments of stupidity on my part, with the exception of me walking into one of the poles that was holding up the marquee, but I can't be held accountable for that; it was definitely the pole's fault.

There was a broad selection of people there who had completed so many fantastic acts of charity and volunteering - it really was an honour to be amongst them. Vic and I met a lovely guy called Adam who had been working with Age UK for three years and was being awarded for his 510 hours of volunteering with them. It was brilliant to see someone so humble and others like him be recognised and congratulated for such amazing work.

Finally, I've been asked to do a shout-out (or something of that kind fit for a blog post) to the fantastic people I work with - they're a mad lot and drive me crazy sometimes but I love them all. I'm not going to list all your names like you asked me to as there's bound to be whinging of "why was I listed last", "why was so-and-so first" etc., but just to say HELLO and you're all super.

Enjoy the rest of June you lovely lot.

Nats. X

No comments:

Post a Comment