Tuesday 14 May 2013

May

I'm back! You poor unfortunate souls.

I finished my exams yesterday, and suffice to say, it's pretty unbelievable to think that we've reached the end of this academic year already. They say time flies when you're having fun - I'm not sure I'd label spending an absurd number of days revising and writing essays "fun", but each to their own. If anything, I have learned in these last few months that time flies when you have deadlines to meet, and hopefully that's a lesson I'll bear in mind when it comes to writing my dissertation next year!

I'm afraid - once again - I have very little to report, because my life for last month and a half has essentially consisted of Uni work, whinging about Uni work and serving coffee to caffeine-craving students and lecturers. However, I thought it might be nice to announce on here that I'm now free for the summer Uni-wise so should have a lot more time to write, which is quite exciting! The thing I'm most looking forward to is writing what I want to rather than being told what I should be writing, whether this be news-based articles or just ramblings about mad and crazy shenanigans (shenanigans is such a great word) and life in general.

The last few weeks aside from exams, revision and work have been pretty dull, but I did go and see The Vaccines right at the start of the month with my friend Daisy, and it was absolutely mental. We picked the perfect position in front of the guitarist Freddie Cowan, who often comes across as a bit of an idiot but he's so bloody beautiful that it's easy to bypass his personality. Beer (or what I hope was beer) was flying everywhere as you might expect at a gig so Daisy and I were both drenched by the time it was over, but we had such a fantastic night and would love to see them again - if you're into that sort of thing it's definitely recommended.


Before I came back to University there were also plenty of goings-on and dramas happening at home, which is a given considering chaos seems to follow me everywhere. I ended up volunteering at my little brother's Cub Scouts one evening - we went grass sledging, which basically consists you sitting on a sledge and going down this massive slide (why it's called grass sledging when technically there's no grass involved, I do not know). After a good twenty minutes of constant nagging from my brother Luke and his little mates, I was eventually encouraged to give it a go, knowing full well that this could only end in disaster, and I was right. The sledging itself was a lot of fun, but I'd forgotten that there were two breaks that I needed to pull on the sledge and like an idiot, I only pulled one. So when I got to the bottom, I essentially rocketed off like a complete lunatic and ended up landing in an enormous heap of mud, subsequently sending twenty 10 year old boys into total hysterics. To no surprise, Luke had his head in his hands at the thought of his sister once again doing her best to embarrass him, probably wishing that he'd left me at home. The poor kid. I think it's fair to say that I won't be helping out at Cubs anytime in the near future.

To wrap it up, I just want to wish anyone still doing exams or on placement the best of luck - it can't be nice to still be working hard when other people have finished, but you're nearly there, so keep going! Also massive congratulations to my football team Crystal Palace who last night made it to the Championship Play-Off Final and will be playing at Wembley in a couple of weeks time. Woohoo!

Happy May!

Nats. X



No comments:

Post a Comment